Small Business Resources
U.S. Small Business Administration low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to California small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). For more information on SBA disaster assistance here.
Workplace Health and Safety
For information on protecting workers from COVID-19, refer to the Cal/OSHA Guidance on Coronavirus.
Businesses and employers can visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for help with planning and responding to COVID-19.
Potential Closure or Layoffs
Employers planning a closure or major layoffs as a result of the coronavirus can get help through the Rapid Response program. For more information, refer to the Rapid Response Services for Businesses Fact Sheet (DE 87144RRB) (PDF) or contact your local America’s Job Center of California.
Tax Filing Extension
The State Franchise Tax Board is offering tax relief for California taxpayers affected by the COVID-19. Visit the Tax Board's website to learn more about the extended tax filing deadline.
Reduced Work Hours
Employers experiencing a slowdown in their businesses or services as a result of the coronavirus impact on the economy may apply for the UI Work Sharing Program. This program allows employers to seek an alternative to layoffs. Visit Work Sharing Program to learn more about its benefits for employers and employees, and how to apply.
Employers experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19 may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest.
For questions, employers may call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center.
- Toll-free from the U.S. or Canada: 1-888-745-3886
- Hearing-impaired (TTY): 1-800-547-9565
- Outside the U.S. or Canada: 1-916-464-3502
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – Job protection and employment discrimination.